Smokey’s THCa Diamonds
What Are THCa Diamonds?
Diamonds are crystals created by extracting the live resin from a cannabis plant using a cold-extraction method and then applying pressure to that oil by means of a chromatography machine until it takes its signature crystalline form. THC-A diamonds are characterized by their crystalline appearance. Once THC is reduced to its purest state, crystallization occurs, creating a substance that shines like no other concentrate on the market as the most purest and potent form of THC.
This temperature part of the extraction is key, because unlike THC, THCA is what’s known as an inactive cannabinoid. THCA, which stands for “THC acid,” is basically just the same THC we know and love with a few extra atoms attached. Those extra acid atoms means THCA will not provide the psychoactive properties that consumers expect from ingesting THC — unless it is activated with heat. This process is known as decarboxylation.
As for the name “diamonds,” it’s pretty self-evident once one sees what crystalline THCA actually looks like. Rarely larger than a few millimeters across, these diamonds are 99 percent THCA, with the remaining 1 percent consisting of other terpenes and cannabinoids. Weed diamonds thus represent the purest form of the plant’s most famous cannabinoid available today.
The key to unlocking the THC from THCA is to smoke or vaporize these crystals. However, it’s important to remember that diamonds are the strongest dab available on the market. The THCA potency of commercial flower is often around 25 percent, while concentrates regularly test anywhere between 70 and 90 percent. Diamonds, by contrast, are just a hair shy of 100 percent THC.
Consumption of diamonds often includes “capping” another, less potent concentrate such as distillate or shatter by topping it off with some bits of THCA crystals.
The best way to use THC diamonds is to either dab or vape them. Basically, any method that utilizes a heating element that will reach 350 Fahrenheit or higher should be sufficient to release and activate the THC within.
Friendly Reminder: Diamonds have the potential to be four times stronger than hitting a joint.